IMPORTANT - upgrading information

Hawker

• Management

Hiya guys,

I am going to be upgrading the forum software in the coming weeks. I have been testing the new software behind the scenes and although some parts of it are quite different, I'm confident that we'll move across to it with relative ease.

HOWEVER, we have quite a complicated set-up behind the scenes, so I wanted to take the opportunity to warn you of two things:

The first is that we will have some downtime whilst I perform the upgrade. You will be notified of this in advance, and I will set up a place for you to find further information so that you know when the board is likely to return. I will advertise that location on here in the future, and I will also post it on our Neighbours Episodes site.

...so if you come online and find that the board is missing, check the episodes site - and if it's me upgrading, you'll see some more info there.

It shouldn't be for too long, hopefully, but it's always difficult to know how long these things will take. It could be a few hours, or it could be a whole weekend.

Secondly, and this is the IMPORTANT BIT - when we have such large upgrades (this is a version jump, not a small amendment), I am never sure what information I will be able to retain. To give you an indication, the last time we upgraded version, all of the posts, threads and private messages were wiped. So (you can see where this is going, can't you?):

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING OUT OF A THREAD, OR YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE BOX, PLEASE BACK IT UP AND SAVE IT NOW!

Because we're so large, some things will have to be lost (so most closed threads will be for the cull, as will lots of very old ones) - but I make no guarantees as to which private messages and the like will be saved...so if it's important, make sure you save a copy on your own harddrive.

I will let you know when I have a set date for the upgrade....I just thought I'd give you some prior warning. :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Management

Yeah, that's the one, mate. :)

I'm currently trying to decide whether to upgrade and then add things in several waves, so that the initial transfer isn't too much of a jump, or whether to do it all in one big push (like ripping off a plaster!).

Thanks for the heads up. I've been going through all of the Standalones and Completed fics, looking for he older Stax fics that I loved. It's taking me ages, and I do have a suggestion, but it may be impossible to set up and people may not agree.

I was wonderingif we could somehow have a 'library' of fics, with whole stories with the comments taken out so that you get to read them all in one go? I'm not sure if it could go as a separate thread, or if it wuld take up a lot of space or whatever it is, and indeed if it would be possible to do (seeing as I do like reading the comments that people made about the stories as well - it may be that there are two threads, one with the comments and one with just the stories?)

Anyway, it's just an idea and in all probability totally unworkable. Thanks for the hard work you all do to keep this site running so well, and I'm sorry if my idea makes you want to reach into your computer and throttle me.

C

• Management

No, suggestions are always welcomed - in the best case scenario, we get a great new feature and in the worst...I just ignore you. ;)

:lol:

Only joking, only joking..! We have discussed having a separate area of the board - or even the site - for fics, so I think it's definitely an idea that could work. I know our biggest concern has been traffic...whether the fics will get as much exposure if we move them or do something else, but I think it's a good idea.

In our very very early days, we used to have a fic thread and a comments thread for each fic so that the story wasn't disrupted but authors could get feedback. I can't think why that ceased (possibly due to more people posting fics and the comments threads getting lost?).

But yes, I think that would be a good idea, although I'm not entirely sure what would be best - an entirely separate archive, or a library forum on the board?

In that case, should some people perhaps save the fics into documents if they can so they won't get lost on the board? This way they can be posted into the 'library' when you've or another member of staff has time. I know I can save some, it's no problem.

Edited by LauraFace

You could do it similar to the way the episode archive is set up. Have the fic posted originally on the forum, then a staff member can work on uploading it to wherever the fics would be stored on their own. The web page with the fic could have a link down the bottom that says "Discuss on forum" where it will link you to the comment page.

Guest MDD22

I will preface this by saying I really don't understand all this stuff, but would doing the updates in bits and pieces prevent the potential of every thread/post vanishing?

Guest MDD22

Thanks anyway, Sal. As I mentioned, I wouldn't have the slightest clue about how to build/run a forum like this so I did wonder if it just wasn't the issue here.

I've said it before, but we really need a smilie with a dunce's hat! :???: