Subscriptions - Please Read

Hawker

• Management

Hiya guys,

I've been sorting out a bit of the back end of the board, after someone brought to my attention that they were still listed as a Premium Subscriber when they hadn't paid for a while.

There was quite a bit of complication when subscriptions were first brought into the board with getting the back part of it to work, so quite a few people were entered manually. I have had a check for expired memberships, run a board update and it's removed them where it seems like the subscription has lapsed. I've done a bit of cross checking and there's a short list of people who are still active as subscribers.

If you have been removed from a subscription group and you think it's an error, give me a yell and I will sort it out for you.

If you have been removed from a subscription group and would like to re-join, you can do so by following this link. If you've never been a subscriber and would like to be, you can also follow the link - your support is greatly appreciated. :)

I think I might do some changes to the subscribing groups in the next few weeks - if there's anything you'd particularly like as a feature, please let me know.

Cheers.

I would like to add for those who might not realise, that the board is not free to run - between here and neighboursepisodes.com, it takes several hundred pounds a year to run, most of which is absorbed by Sal. Therefore support of just a few pounds a year is greatly appreciated! And there are a few subscriber perks, too! :)

• Management

Ah yes - I didn't mention the other options!

If you don't fancy using the board software, you can send me a Paypal payment manually (PM me for my e-mail address..it's not my neighboursfans one!) - or if you'd rather pay by cheque, if you PM me, I will pass you over an address. :)

I know we already have a bigger inbox, but I'd love to see that increased if possible (though no big deal if not, as I am guessing more space equals more money )

I'd also suggest increasing the subs this year, even if we each pay a few extra £ a year it means less for you to pay Sal, or even an option to decide what you pay, with £6.50 being the minimum. We all love the board and get a lot out of it, I don't see why we shouldn't all contribute what we can afford. I'd be happy to pay more than the £6.50 that subs currently are, as it would still be excellent value for money. :)

• Management

I will look into the inbox; I should think that would be fairly do-able. :)

The board subscriptions manager isn't brilliantly bright and doesn't allow for donations of your choosing (only set amounts), but you could Paypal me directly and then you could choose the amount that you wanted to send. I could then action that through the board, which would activate the sub. Or you could buy a sub and then Paypal me directly the difference...but that's a bit cumbersome for you guys (and it'd mean Paypal taking its cut of 42p twice!).

• Management

Thanks ever so much for subscribing. :)

Graham's right - the board software just isn't very clever at all and doesn't do things in a way that you'd expect. It doesn't count years (I'd probably have set it to expire on the day that you register if I could...e.g. you sign up on the 8th of Jan 2012, it expires on the 8th of Jan 2012 to give you some grace to resubscribe).

However, it doesn't do that - it counts 365 days, so if you signed up on the 8th of Jan, it expires on the 7th of Jan (because, by its logic, you've already had an 8th of Jan in your subscription).

This year is a leap year, so it counts 365 days and falls a day short....so as has happened to you, if you subscribe on the 8th of Jan it counts forward and with the 29th of Feb being an extra day, it ceases on the 6th of Jan. Does that make sense?

I would be happy to manually extend everyone's subscription by a day to counter it if you'd like me to - that's not a problem. :)

Thanks for the explanation Sal,

Like I said before I was just curious as to why it did what it did, I wasn't angling for an extra day.

I think you are making alot of work for yourself if you go through and manually extend every subscriber for just 1 day. I'm happy to loose the day and I'm sure most other people will be aswell.

Thanks for the help Sal!

ETA: Sal, You asked for suggestions, would it be possible to put an auto resubscribe option on the Subscriptions? I asume probably not if the subscription module is a querky as you say it is, but I thought I would ask.

Edited by neighbours fan 1986
  • Management

No worries, mate - I know you weren't angling...it's a valid question! :)

Alas, the sub manager doesn't allow for auto subscribing (although that's something I'd have to require people to choose themselves as well - I hate the thought of someone ticking it accidentally and then going overdrawn or something because they didn't realise a payment was going out)...I don't think it even tells you when your package has run out(!)

No worries, mate - I know you weren't angling...it's a valid question! :)

Alas, the sub manager doesn't allow for auto subscribing (although that's something I'd have to require people to choose themselves as well - I hate the thought of someone ticking it accidentally and then going overdrawn or something because they didn't realise a payment was going out)...I don't think it even tells you when your package has run out(!)

Oh well it was just a thought, I can see it could be problamatic but if it's not even possible then I guess its a moot point.