Quotes - adding to the Random Quotes system

Hawker

• Management

Random quotes are back - wahey!

I have to admit, I have really missed our random quotes feature...and I know that I'm not the only one. I think it has to be high on the list of 'most requested feature' and I am chuffed to bits that we have it back.

Even better, it's much improved too!

I would love it if you all started adding quotes - please feel free to do so. However, as we're starting from fresh, I would also love it if we could all format our quotes in the same way...hence this guide! (I know that this might seem a bit lame to some people, but I remember the hell of trying to re-format hundreds of quotes on the old board and it's a pain...if we all do it the same way to begin with, it'll look ace and it'll save a LOT of work!) Thanks in advance! :)

To add a quote

1. Go to: http://www.neighboursfans.com/forum/index.php?/quotes/

2. Press the 'Add Quote' button (top right).

Formatting the year and episode number

Where it says, "Quote Information, Quote Source," please fill in the YEAR and EPISODE number.

e.g.

1986: Episode 0222

1998: Episode 3000

2007: Episode 5172

Please note the 0 prefix for any numbers below 1000.

If you don't know the episode number, please write: YEAR: Episode Unknown

e.g.

1994: Episode Unknown

Please note that there are two spaces after a colon. :)

If you don't know the year or the episode number, just write Unknown in the box.

Formatting the quote

In, "Quote content," please fill the quote in as follows:

1. If you need a setup line, please write it in italics and end it with a colon.

e.g.

When Michael appears to apologise to Wayne:

After Lou threatens Russell:

Then drop to the next line to write your quote...

2. Please write the character names in capitals (as if it is a script). Please bold the character names, and follow them with a colon.

e.g.

PHILIP:
JULIE:

LOU:

HAROLD:

3. Please write the rest of your quote as normal (e.g. no extra formatting). Please try to be as accurate to the show as possible.

There are lots of quotes on our sister site @ www.neighboursepisodes.com - feel free to look through them and add them!

• Management

We use Australian air dates throughout the site, so if it aired in Australia in 2012, it's a 2012 episode.

If you're unsure, check http://www.neighboursepisodes.com/ and look at the season list. For instance, 2012 covers episodes 6311 - 6550.

If it airs in the UK in 2013, but it was aired in Australia in 2012, it's a 2012 episode.

If it was filmed in 2011, but aired in Australia in 2012...it's a 2012 episode.

• Management

It's no worries, mate - it's always best to ask. :)

Also, don't worry if quotes don't appear instantly...they have to be approved, so there may be a short delay (between you posting and me noticing ;)).

I think I might get the DVDs out later and get adding! :D

Would it be possible to link the quotes to the summaries, perhaps in the "View full quote" option? Sometimes you come across a quote that reminds you of a really great episode, and while you can just go to the archive and type in the number, it would be one less click.

And is it okay to copy quotes from summaries that others have written? Because most of the good ones are already written out there. It's not plagiarism or anything?

• Management

Would it be possible to link the quotes to the summaries, perhaps in the "View full quote" option? Sometimes you come across a quote that reminds you of a really great episode, and while you can just go to the archive and type in the number, it would be one less click.

And is it okay to copy quotes from summaries that others have written? Because most of the good ones are already written out there. It's not plagiarism or anything?

I think that would be a good idea, but I'm not sure on the best way to achieve it at the moment - leave it with me and I will see what I can do. I quite agree...it's where my thinking was coming from last night when I stated that the earlier episodes should have the 0 prefix...I was thinking about ensuring a uniformity with the episodes site.

And yes, feel free to copy away - we've created the summaries for use by our site, so we consider it all one and the same. :)

Could you put a link to this thread into the "Add Quote" page? This thread is easily accessible now, but with time it'll get buried below new Forum News and people who haven't seen it already won't know the correct formatting, or even that the formatting matters at all. It would probably save you work in the future.

Well, I hate the random quotes. They may be OK, when you are looking at the board on a PC, where they take a fairly small proportion of the screen, but I often look at the board from my I-phone. Then a quote can take up half of the screen! Its especially annoying when the same quote may come up several times within a few days.<br /><br />Is there anywhere for us to switch it off, in preferences - particularly on an I-phone?

Edited by Sukie

Nooo, we can't have hate for the quotes it has taken us soooo long to get them back because of software issues, we all love the quotes.

Seriously though, I can see your point, but I think the only solution would be to have a no-quotes mobile skin, and I think writing a new skin might take Sal a while, as I think it's quite a complex job. Will have to wait and see what she says, but I haven't found an option to opt out of the quotes yet in the user settings, and they don't seem to have a collapse button either.

Yes I don't like the quotes myself either.

Well, I hate the random quotes. They may be OK, when you are looking at the board on a PC, where they take a fairly small proportion of the screen, but I often look at the board from my I-phone. Then a quote can take up half of the screen! Its especially annoying when the same quote may come up several times within a few days.<br /><br />Is there anywhere for us to switch it off, in preferences - particularly on an I-phone?

I didn't see them when I was on my iPhone at the weekend after the were introduced.

ETA Just checked and I now see them on my iPhone too.

Hi Sal, I know it is a huge ask, but would it be possible to edit the add quote page on the quotes system so that the formatting rules are at the top of the page?

There are so many formatting things to remember that I keep forgetting to do things until I have posted two or three quotes and then I suddenly remember halfway through. If it was there in front of me, it would remind me and I would be able to quickly check through it all before I click on post to make sure I have got it right.

• Management

Hi Sal, I know it is a huge ask, but would it be possible to edit the add quote page on the quotes system so that the formatting rules are at the top of the page?

There are so many formatting things to remember that I keep forgetting to do things until I have posted two or three quotes and then I suddenly remember halfway through. If it was there in front of me, it would remind me and I would be able to quickly check through it all before I click on post to make sure I have got it right.

Sal might well do this for you, but there is a thread telling you how to do it here - can't you bookmark it or something if you're finding it difficult to locate it?

ETA: It's this thread!! :lol:

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Management

I think I got a bit confused today. I tried to quote a post and ended up adding it to the quotes page... somehow. :shrug::wallbang:

Do you mean this one, Ian?

CODY (to Todd): I don't wanna hang around anymore because I love YOU, stupid!

You don't want it added?