...it's been 9 years?!

Hawker

Thanks, Sal. :) None of us would be here if it wasn't for you having taken over the running of the board all those years ago, so give yourself a pat on the back as well for being the person who keeps the show on the road. :)

And Happy Birthday to Neighbours and to us! :D

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who makes this forum what it is, in particuar the summarisers, the staff and of course Sal who keeps the whole thing going. Where would we be without you guys?

The screencaps and accompanying tags also mean that we've got a brilliant character gallery (I'd have killed for that when I was 14 - that's what I really wanted from a Neighbours website as a teen!).

I know what you're saying but part of me is totally grateful that there wasn't such a thing when I was 14. If this Board at existed then, let alone a character gallery.... well let's just say I think my eduction would have suffered big time!

Here's to our birthday and the show's, and many more to come.

• 3 weeks later...

A belated birthday from me too. Since my illness I don't get on everyday like I used to, but I have met some amazing friends through this board, many of which helped me through said illness.

Neighbours has always been a big part if my life, and the board has just enhanced that. Thank you Sal, Gaynor, Graham, Janet and everyone else :) encephalitis has left me a soppy old thing :)

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

Even though it's nearly coming up to five months I still want to say Happy Birthday to NeighboursFans for nine glorious years and to also say how great it is to post on this forum and to discuss Neighbours with those who are just as passionate about the show as I am.

Thanks for making this possible Sal and here's to many great years for the forum and hopefully the show as well :)

One thing I'm curious about though is whether it was deliberate to set up the forum under this name exactly at the 20th anniversary since Neighbours first aired in Australia or whether it was just pure coincidence it fell on that date. I think it's cool either way!

• Like 1
  • Management

Good question!

I seem to think that I deliberately plumped for the anniversary of the show...so yes, it could've been the 16th or the 14th or whatever, and I selected the 18th on purpose.

It's all a bit in the dim and distant past now, but if I remember rightly, I was told that Erinsborough was closing its doors, and I was given the offer to continue the forum/site under a different name. I think I had a week or so to get the new site up and running - although I'm pretty certain that the writing had been on the wall for a while...and I made the decision to purchase the forum software (we'd been using a free version up until that point) and upgraded it...I had quite a bit of work to do on it, as I'd made LOTS of modifications to the original software when it was Erinsborough, and we wanted a lot of those features back.

The biggest nightmare was that the hosting provider of Erinsborough suffered a catastrophic outage the week prior to us switching over, which meant a lot of people didn't find us / make the crossover. It wasn't at all deliberate - it was just an unbelievable stroke of bad luck...and it meant that we just started afresh...we were going to transfer a bunch of the topics etc, but in the end, with the host out for so long, it was easier to just take across the members database and begin again.

• Like 1
  • Management

Yeah, it wasn't the board software though - it was that the server collapsed under the strain of it, and the hosts didn't get it back up quickly. I think the fact that the site hadn't been renewed with them meant that they weren't that bothered, as we were leaving a week or so later.

• Management

It was definitely their end.

What I do regret is not sending out a mass e-mail...I can't remember at the time why I didn't do it, but I should've. I think I sort of figured that people would find their way across eventually, but there wasn't Twitter and stuff like that back then, so although the hardcore bunch of posters found out and spread the word around, we still had people turning up 5 years later saying, "Oh my god, you're here!"

Bit late but congrats and thank you, Sal, for a place that has been there for me in so many ways over the last nine years. I joined on March 19, 2005, so I must have been here almost the second Neighboursfans itself (this incarnation) came to life.

I was a busy little poster in the early days - my distinct memory is of late nights with Steve (Morrish) and JA talking about all sorts. :lol:

I went very quiet for a while as other things in real life took over and then came back and this happened a few times, as it does with us all, I think. My fan-fic era (2005-2009) was probably my busiest time here, but I am a more regular visitor today than I have been in recent years, and I think my actually not watching Neighbours anymore is what stopped me writing fan fic. Shame really; I truly enjoyed it.

Long may this place last. It's still a lovely little community and I can't imagine ever being without it completely. :hug:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, 9 years. A big congratualtions to Sal. It's been a while since I've been an active user on here but it's nice to see some of the regulars, plus some new ones, still around.

I joined in June of '04, which is when it was still it was E.Net I believe? I think I remember one of the first topics I posted. I think I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum area so it got moved (a rather random memory, I know). :lol:

Here's to many more years to come!

• Like 1
  • Management

Good to 'see' you again, mate! :)

Yes, June of 04 was still Erins - we converted to Nfans in March of 05.

It seems very odd that we did about 4 years and 4 months under Erins and we've been going for 9 and a half years now as Nfans. I remember us tipping over the 'half and half' milestone, but now Erins is a long way in the past. :o Where has the time gone?!