NeighboursFans needs your help ×

Board Upgraded

Hawker

Yes, that's the reason I thought that it used to show topics rather than posts because I'm sure I never used to come onto the board and find 800 new posts in a day (I'm not saying there weren't that many, that just wasn't the number displayed) but it's probably just me! Anyway it's not a problem in the slightest.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Management

I er, may have got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. :whistling:

I didn't mean to be quite so grumpy about it all!

The number tells you how many new posts there are, but it displays in topics - so if there have been 60 posts in Whatever, it doesn't display Whatever 60 times when you click the "new posts" link...it just lists the Whatever thread once - so there might only be 3 or 4 pages of topics displayed (so 75-100 topics), but there might be several hundred new posts held within them.

Does that make sense?

The number tells you how many new posts there are, but it displays in topics - so if there have been 60 posts in Whatever, it doesn't display Whatever 60 times when you click the "new posts" link...it just lists the Whatever thread once - so there might only be 3 or 4 pages of topics displayed (so 75-100 topics), but there might be several hundred new posts held within them.

Does that make sense?

Sorry to be a pain and make you keep labouring the point, Sal - it does make perfect sense, I'm just saying I'm pretty sure that before the upgrade that was not the case for me. I don't know how it was working and it was probably just my computer, but there were never so many new posts unless I'd been away on holiday or something. If it said 100 new posts, that would be about 4 pages, but now it's saying 800 and the number of pages is the same, which seemed a bit odd. But the number it's showing now is correct anyway so it doesn't matter, it was just an observation :)

• Management

Invision's algorithm isn't that smart and probably hasn't wiped your already read posts. It's not really designed to sit at the top of the board in the new posts link (that's supposed to just say "New Posts") because it doesn't react well to registering when you have read a thread or not.

Hit the mark as read link to reset it all.

Then the number will climb as people post...the board is not making false numbers up - it just keeps adding them on until you clear it.

• Management

That's what I've just said - the number isn't really designed to sit there, but if you wipe the board when you've finished one session, it'll count from zero ready for when you log in again.

I don't know how else to write it so that people understand. :???:

Sorry Sal, I know I'm sounding like an utter numpty and I really do understand the concept! But in practice, pre and post upgrade the feature has been different for me. The reason doesn't really matter, I was only saying.

Do you have the bit circled in red on your screen, Daria?

BoardStuff.jpg

No, I don't - but I'm still in IE6. I'm avoiding upgrades at the moment because my computer is a bit slow, but I'll do it asap. Thank you for your help! :)

Don't know what version of IE you're using but that zooming thing is only on IE7, if that's the problem.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Honestly, I do know what you mean, Sal, I'm just positive it was different before! Maybe it's got slower at wiping the post count or something :???: I know that the board isn't making numbers up :)

I've never even bothered to look at how many new posts are showing at the top of the page - it's not as though I'm going to read every one of them :shrug:

Honestly, I do know what you mean, Sal, I'm just positive it was different before! Maybe it's got slower at wiping the post count or something :???: I know that the board isn't making numbers up :)

I've never even bothered to look at how many new posts are showing at the top of the page - it's not as though I'm going to read every one of them :shrug:

Same here. I just wander off into the forums and see which threads I feel like going into, which may take longer but it's what I'm used to.

Anyway, I was thinking the board looked a tad wider but thought it was just my imagination. :lol: I haven't put anything in the "About Me" bit yet, I'm rubbish at those sort of things. :blushing:

Edited by Louella
  • Management

So what did it used to display then? Because I'm really confused - I use that button all day long and I know what sort of numbers to expect from it at certain times of the day...I've been reading and clearing intermittently and there's been absolutely nothing surprising from it.

So I'm not being awkward - I just don't get what you're trying to say. When you log onto the board, it will tell you how many posts have been added to the board since your last visit. It doesn't seem capable of wiping the total and as you post on the board, it will continue to add and add and add until you manually wipe the total by marking all posts as read.

...and then the cycle starts again.

:???:

When I got home from work it would say something like 85 new posts, today I got home and it said 237 new posts.

But when you look at the actual new posts, it still runs to the same number of pages as it did before.

• Management

Then it mustn't have been counting the posts correctly for some reason prior to the upgrade. ...maybe it was counting all of the posts in a topic as one or something, although it baffles me because that part of the code wasn't supposed to have been altered...so unless Invision haven't updated their documentation. :???:

Unless something else was conflicting with it and stopping it from working properly and now that's ironed out it's counting how it should do now.

I have no idea - it looks no different to me!