NeighboursFans needs your help ×

Board Upgraded

Hawker

• Management
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean - as far as I can see there are no more posts than normal, but the number at th top of the page seems to suggest that there are.

That is the correct number of posts. That is how many posts are on the board. The board software cannot suggest that there are more posts than there really are.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it mustn't have been counting the posts correctly for some reason prior to the upgrade. ...maybe it was counting all of the posts in a topic as one or something, although it baffles me because that part of the code wasn't supposed to have been altered...so unless Invision haven't updated their documentation. :???:

Unless something else was conflicting with it and stopping it from working properly and now that's ironed out it's counting how it should do now.

I have no idea - it looks no different to me!

Ok, fair enough. I never disputed that the current number was correct, Sal, I was only pointing it out. I wasn't meaning to have a go at you and although a bit techincally incompetent, I'm not an idiot - I do understand that the board software is not making the posts up. Sorry if I've caused a fuss!

Not starting anything but what I noticed that changed for me is the exact same problem as Sophie's, but yeah the new posts that show up is still around the same amount, so there must have been a problem beforehand for us if say 300 posts in 6-7 hours is the usual amount. It was usually about 70-90 posts that it displayed beforehand in that space of time.

• Management

Obviously, for some unknown reason, it must've been displaying in topics to you in the past. It didn't seem to from my end...I can't explain why it would differ between my account and yours, but there we go.

The point that I'm trying to make is that the number is correct - and it does exactly what it says. Technically, if the old one was showing up for you in the form of "New posts (topics)", then this one is more semantically accurate because it tells you accurately exactly how many new posts there are.

So...this is a non-issue, yeah? The link does what it's supposed to?

Sophie, I've had the exact same experience as you with the 'View new posts' thingy and think you've done well to explain your point in this thread. For me it's changed from saying something like '100 new posts' when I log on every morning to '300 new posts', but I didn't think about it much as I'm happy that function is working at all. :)

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I mean - as far as I can see there are no more posts than normal, but the number at th top of the page seems to suggest that there are.

That is the correct number of posts. That is how many posts are on the board. The board software cannot suggest that there are more posts than there really are.

Though the new posts thing isn't an issue with me, because I only read a small portion of the whole, I have noticed it since it turned green - simply because it is green (not an issue, Sal!) - and the numbers are a lot higher than before. However, I have a theory. That is that before, it showed "New posts since last visit", as most boards seem to do. Maybe now it keeps on counting over a 24 hour period, regardless of number of visits? I was on earlier (about an hour ago) so any new posts should be timed from around 8.45. However, there are new posts there from around 10pm yesterday.

Not sure I'm explaining this properly...

<Note to self: currently 227 new posts, between 22.02 and last post timed at 09.57>

:blushing: Got that wrong, didn't I! There are now 257 new posts since my last at 10.01 and the earlier posts have gone from the list.

Edited by Barney

Sorry if this has been mentioned (I haven't read the entire thread) but the "Similar Topics" element of the board is now back (I think I remember it being manually removed before?). :)

Thanks for the upgrade.

• Management

Close! It's back, but it wasn't manually removed before - it's not a default feature of the board.

When we upgrade, most of the modifications stop working and I have to reinstall them all/tinker with them to take into account the effects of the upgrade. Similar Topics was one of those modifications which fell by the wayside...it's too long ago now for me to remember why I didn't reinstall it when it was initially lost, but I decided to bring it back last night. :)

As a side note, if people don't like Similar Topics, if you hit the red "-" button on the top right of the bar, it will collapse it so you don't have to view them.

There have been a few changes to the board today - some more noticeable than others...so you might pick up on a few. :)

• Management
There's a 'stats' section on the profiles. I find that quite fascinating acutally!!

OMG - mine are really rather embarrassing actually. :o

I'm not 100% sure what total Posts (the real number of posts) means when I have more than it says according to my profile - but no doubt all will be revealed.