New Avatar System!

Hawker

• Management

Before I get started with the ins and outs of this change...

IF YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED YOUR AVATAR, PLEASE DO SO NOW!

Even if your avatar seems to be appearing, it won't be to everyone else (it's your browser's cache displaying it). And I'll warn you all, if your avatar isn't displaying after a couple of weeks, I will change it to one of Phil. :devil:

Ok, here we go with the information:

Why the changes have been made

I've been promising to take a look at the avatar system for quite some time, and now there's a new method of organisation for them.

When we set up the old system, we only had a handful of avatars for each character - and now we have some characters who have over 100 (not including their appearances in multi-character avatars). For some folders, this was really disruptive...for example, the Kennedy family folder had 100+ Susan avatars, 100+ Karl avatars and 40+ Libby avatars. If you wanted an avatar of Darcy Tyler, having to wait for 240 unrelated avatars to download first was quite annoying - even for those members on broadband!

Additionally, the enhanced/non-enhanced system was a great idea in theory - but as a user, it's much more simple for all of the avatars of a character to be in a similar place.

The new system should also give a fair opportunity for growth in the future, without the folders getting quite so overloaded.

So what's different?

1. Individual avatars

Karl_01.jpg

Instead of individual avatars being grouped by families, each character now has their own individual folder. So Karl's avatars are now longer under:

Kennedy > KennedyKarl01

Instead, they are at:

Kennedy - Karl > Karl 01

This also means we can get rid of the "SurnameFirstname" method of labelling, which makes the avatars easier to read.

2. Group avatars - couples

Philip_Julie_02.jpg

If an avatar is of a pairing, they will be filed under:

FamilyName - COUPLE - Name Name > Name Name 01

e.g.

Martin - COUPLE - Philip Julie > Philip Julie 01

If you can't find a folder, look under the other character's surname. If there's not a folder for your favourite pairing, please ask me to make you one.

3. Group avatars - family members

Elle_Gail_Paul_01.jpg

If an avatar features people from the same family who aren't couples they will be filed under:

FamilyName - FAMILY > Name Name Name 01

e.g. Robinson - FAMILY > Elle Gail Paul 01

4. Group avatars - everyone else

Anne_Lance_Toadie_01.GIF

If an avatar features 'wishful' couples (Phil/Susan ;)), or friendships (Libby/Steph) or several people who aren't all in the same family, they will be under mixed characters. They will be labelled alphabetically.

e.g. Mixed Characters - A

So an avatar with Anne, Lance and Toadie in will go under A. An avatar with Joel, Lance and Toadie will go under J.

Not all letters are used for folders, and some of the folders have been split to ensure that there's only a handful of avatars in each folder.

• Management

How do I label avatars now?

1. Individual avatars are labelled with the FIRST NAME of the character, an underscore and then the correct number.

e.g. Karl_01.jpg

Philip_12.gif

Lyn_66.png

2. Couples are labelled in the same order as their folder, NOT alphabetically. ...so look at the folder name for the order. If there's no folder, ask me.

e.g. Paul/Gail = Paul_Gail_01.jpg

Max/Steph = Max_Steph_14.gif

Sky/Dylan = Sky_Dylan_09.png

3. Families and mixed avatars are labelled in alphabetical order.

e.g. Philip/Julie/Hannah = Hannah_Julie_Philip_01.jpg

Karl/Libby/Billy = Billy_Karl_Libby_12.gif

Miranda/Bridget/Steve = Bridget_Miranda_Steve_47.png

Please remember to put underscores _ between the names of characters and numbers - e.g. Philip_Julie_01.jpg, not PhilipJulie01.jpg

Final things...

1. You can now submit avatars again for uploading. Please make sure they use the new naming system.

2. There have been a lot of avatars to change. If one has gone astray, please send it back in and it'll be re-uploaded (sorry etc!).

3. I don't watch current Neighbours, so my knowledge of some of the couples is hazy at best. If you think there should be a folder made for a couple, just tell me who and I'll sort it out for you.

4. It is entirely possible some avatars are in the wrong folders - I very well might have missed some family members, for example. If you see any that should be filed elsewhere, just yell up and I'll move them around. :)

• Management

1. You must use an avatar that is in the avatar gallery. We are predominantly a Neighbours board, and we like to maintain this theme with our avatars.

2. If you have a Neighbours related avatar that you have made that you would like to use, send it in to neighboursfans@gmail.com and it will be placed in the gallery for use.

All avatars must be:

- 100 x 100 pixels.

- Below 20kb in filesize.

- Named correctly.

- From your own screencaps (no magazine photos, for example).

- At UK pace...so if a couple have got together in Aus, you must wait until they're together in the UK to have an avatar of them.

- YOUR OWN WORK! If someone else has made an avatar that you would like to use, please ask them to send it in for you.

3. You may use screencaps from other programmes, as long as the actor was once in Neighbours. For example, you can have an avatar with Alan Dale in from Ugly Betty because he used to be Jim Robinson. The avatar should be named as the actor's Neighbours character (so an avatar of Jackie Woodburne from Prisoner would go under Susan Kennedy, and not Chookie or Julie Egbert).

If you are unsure about any of these points, feel free to ask any questions...I know it's a big change. :)

• Management

I'm really sorry, mate - I must've misplaced some (I could've sworn I had them all though!). I think I said so earlier, but if you whack them along to me personally (sal @ neighboursfans.com - without the spaces) instead of the gmail address, I'll get them up asap for you. :)

As mentioned to you Sal, working on some more Fitzy avatars but can't upload them yet due to them being spoilerish for UK viewers but just want to know how would you like him to be named? Dan or Daniel? Previously it was FitzgeraldDan (and the number) so should I keep the name "Dan" or use "Daniel instead? :)

Cheers.

Edited by ShadowDan
  • 1 month later...