NeighboursFans needs your help ×

IMPORTANT - PM SYSTEM

Hawker

• Management

Hiya guys,

If you've been online tonight, you'll know that the board has been offline for a while. We've been hit by a spambot which is doing the rounds on Invision boards at the moment. I did patch the board to attempt to stop this, but the system appears to have been circumnavigated.

As a temporary measure, the PM system for all members has been disabled. This is, I stress, a temporary measure - I will sort something out for established members over the weekend (I'm working solidly until then) ...but it's the only foolproof way to stop us from going offline.

I do apologise for the break in service and if you received a PM, when you get access to your inbox, just delete it as it is definitely just SPAM.

Cheers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Management

I thought I covered it in my original post, Andrew. :lol:

I have disabled the PM rights for everyone who is a member due to the problems we had the other night with spambot. It's only a temporary measure, but sorting out the PM system rights will take me a while and I'm working solidly until the weekend...so there will be a short break in service.

My PM system seems to be working (some people said that the feature has disappeared completely including seeing the "X new messages" at the top) so was it just some people who lost the feature as Sayaka said or is it meant to be all non-staff members?

My PM system seems to be working (some people said that the feature has disappeared completely including seeing the "X new messages" at the top) so was it just some people who lost the feature as Sayaka said or is it meant to be all non-staff members?

You must be special :p

Edited by neighbours fan 1986

Mine is still not working :cry: Is Sal having to go through and individually authorise each member? I hope not otherwise it is going to take Sal hours, not that I'm in a rush, I just feel really bad that poor Sal has to spend all this time trawling through over 20,000 members records working out who to authorise and who to block just because some idiot decided to plant a spam bot on the site. I wish there was something I could do to help. Hopefully knowing that myself and I'm sure most members of the site really appreciate all the hard work Sal is putting in over this issue will help abit.

Thanks Sal!

You must be special :p

LOL sweet ;)

What's happened is that people in the Staff, Contributor, or Subscriber group have their PMs enabled because they have been manually put into a different group at some point and therefore we know they're not spambots.

Unfortunately spambots sign up to the board in the "General Members" group, so the whole group has had to be disabled. Unfortunately, that affects our regular members who are also in that group too.

Don't worry, Sal will be looking into it at the weekend when she has some time off work and all should be well soon.

If you can't wait till then...well, you could always become a subscriber or start doing summaries, I guess ;)

Wait so would people who have access to the Wiki section (which is a contributor forum) have their PMs enabled then? Dw I'm not fussed either way if my PMs are enabled or not cos I use it very rarely, was just curious as to why mine worked while others didn't when I'm not a staff member or contributor :p

(and hey I wouldn't mind doing summaries, it just takes time, which I don't have much of nowadays ;))

Edited by Swanny
Wait so would people who have access to the Wiki section (which is a contributor forum) have their PMs enabled then? Dw I'm not fussed either way if my PMs are enabled or not cos I use it very rarely, was just curious as to why mine worked while others didn't when I'm not a staff member or contributor :p

(and hey I wouldn't mind doing summaries, it just takes time, which I don't have much of nowadays ;))

Yes, that would be an enabled section too.

I am certainly well aware that doing summaries takes time ;):lol: