PM Restrictions For New Members

• Management

Ok, as an update to the spam attack earlier in the week...

1) All new members do not have access to the PM system or the E-mail system. You can gain access by posting on the board. After 11 posts, you will automatically be granted access to the messaging systems. 11 posts might seem like a lot, but there's a heap of ways of attaining those posts...just come and have a conversation in General Chat with us!

2) Everyone else should have had their access to the messaging systems restored. I really do apologise for the fact that I had to temporarily shut it down. If anyone has any problems, shoot me an e-mail or post in the Comments and Suggestions area of the site and I'll take a look into it.

Finally, we used to have a Welcome PM, which was replicated in the Welcome forum some months ago. As the PM system is inaccessible to new members, it would probably be a good idea for all new members to read this topic as a replacement for it. :)

Thanks Sal for sorting out the PM System, you are a star!

You may wish to update the welcome message to reflect the fact that new members no longer have access to the PM System.

You can also find a list of the current Staff and Management on this page - and you can PM one of them to talk to them privately if you so wish.

Also would it be possible to email the welcome message out to new members as I think it is important that they read it and I am afraid that it will get lost once this has all blown over, as being a closed thread, it will never be at the top of the list, just a suggestion.

Thanks once again Sal, really appreciate it! :)

• Management

I will amend it, cheers, Chris.

To be honest, I think it would just pointlessly overload the mail server if an e-mail was sent out automatically. Generally, a good percentage of people don't read welcome messages or FAQs or even the news area...as evidenced by the sheer amount of e-mails I got about the PM system not working, for instance. ;)

As long as the info is around on the board and people can be directed to it, I think that's cool enough for now. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Management

I think this FAQ will answer your question.

I can go into further detail if you wish, or you can e-mail me (sal @ neighboursfans . com) if you wish to discuss it privately (as obviously, you don't have access to the PM system on the board).

I hope that helps to clear things up a bit for you. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Management

No, I'm afraid not.

I believe in two things with the private message system:

1) Everyone should be allowed to have a private messaging system so that they can contact their friends or the Staff.

2) Everyone should have the right to come on here and not be spammed or hassled by other members.

To ensure that people aren't hassling each other, I would have to monitor everyone's PMs - which ruins the first aim. I don't want to do that, nor do I have the time or interest to do that...so I have to rely on people reporting when someone is abusing the private messaging system and then I restrict that one person from the system.

I have absolutely no way of knowing if you're just going to break the rules again, so I have to go on past behaviour. The rules were clear, and you broke them. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't really see why I should trust you, or why the other members should trust you not to hassle them.

If you want to contact the Staff, you can do so via my e-mail account or posting in Comments and Suggestions, and if you want to contact other members, you'll have to do so via their profile pages or hoping that they don't mind you contacting them by e-mail.