NeighboursFans needs your help ×

BACK UP! 15th September 2011

Sayaka

• Management

I have to say thanks to Janet for texting me because she wasn't sure whether I'd seen the LJ page. :hug:

You're welcome. :)

How you got on a ban list is anyone's guess :rolleyes: I didn't even know there was a IP ban list there until this week. (in fact, it may have been hidden to us before this point)

The ban list has always been in the Admin bit. I wonder if for some reason Alex's ISP changed to one that was already in the filter? If we get people persistently signing up when they've been banned so that could be a reason.

It certainly wouldn't have been added to deliberately ban you, Alex, but it is possible I did it in error whilst trying to get rid of someone else. :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How you got on a ban list is anyone's guess :rolleyes: I didn't even know there was a IP ban list there until this week. (in fact, it may have been hidden to us before this point)

The ban list has always been in the Admin bit. I wonder if for some reason Alex's ISP changed to one that was already in the filter? If we get people persistently signing up when they've been banned so that could be a reason.

It certainly wouldn't have been added to deliberately ban you, Alex, but it is possible I did it in error whilst trying to get rid of someone else. :)

No, I don't think it's the same ban list, Janet. It's nothing to do with the forum database, this is on the server itself, I think it's a higher ban list than the board one, one that resides with the ISP. I'm sure you check the forum's ban list before for Alex's IP and it wasn't there.

There was a time when the host put everyone who typed their password in wrong on an ISP-level ban list at one time, hence my :rolleyes: above!

• Management

I'm wondering whether JA's right and Alex was requested to be banned at some point when she was working...I can't remember doing it, but maybe if we were looking to ban from one location (I.e. let someone access from elsewhere but banned from home)?

But I don't for the life of me remember doing it...but it's the only thing I can think of as plausible. :???:

I'm wondering whether JA's right and Alex was requested to be banned at some point when she was working...I can't remember doing it, but maybe if we were looking to ban from one location (I.e. let someone access from elsewhere but banned from home)?

But I don't for the life of me remember doing it...but it's the only thing I can think of as plausible. :???:

If you had though, surely it would have been done from the forum, rather than at an ISP level? I don't *think* the two lists are the same, but I can't see the forum ban list, only the one behind the scenes. Maybe you could check, Sal?

• Management

No, I don't think it's the same ban list, Janet. It's nothing to do with the forum database, this is on the server itself, I think it's a higher ban list than the board one, one that resides with the ISP. I'm sure you check the forum's ban list before for Alex's IP and it wasn't there.

Ah thanks, I didn't realise. :)

We definitely banned Alex once at her request but that was several years ago! Sounds like it can't have been that anyway. :)

Ah thanks, I didn't realise. :)

We definitely banned Alex once at her request but that was several years ago! Sounds like it can't have been that anyway. :)

Janet, I know you wouldn't ever have deliberately banned me! The banning request was in 2006 or so I think, when I was doing a psychology exam. (5 years ago - scary. I've since quit psychology, moved abroad, got an arts degree and a masters, but it still feels a lot more recent than 5 years ago! :lol: )