NeighboursFans needs your help ×

Upgrade - 22/09

Hawker

4 hours ago, Rick182 said:

image.thumb.png.a4d66ed2b353e2ad647c34262d217ad8.png

I see them like that

That is how they are meant to look. :scratch:

And I wouldn't want them to be any bigger either, we are on the board to read what has been said, not look at some 'huge' emoji!  However, you could always increase the size of your internet page so that it appears bigger that way!

22 minutes ago, Tracy C said:

That is how they are meant to look. :scratch:

They are meant to be yellow, and not with serrated edges as per Rick’s screen shot. His are white (except for the cat emojis which are black). And the emojis Hawker posted are standard iPhone ones which have a smoother appearance compared to the old board ones that you posted above (that have the serrated edges).

I haven’t used desktop to view this site for years and had forgotten what it looks likes. That screen shot is like a vintage time capsule for me. 😆

• Like 1

@Rick182 Not sure if this is right, but according to Google:

Emojis show in black and white on the following platforms:

Android 4.3 and below
    Windows 8 and below
    Windows 8.1 and above, using Firefox or Chrome
    Windows Phone 8

All other platforms and browsers show emojis in full color, including:

iOS - all apps
    OS X - all apps
    Android 4.4 and above

So I'd say that's not a board issue, it's because you're seeing the standard Unicode emoji set in the way they would usually look on your (pre-Windows 10) OS.

You can still access an awful lot of non-standard emojis via the 'smiley face' menu at the top of the post preview, as ever (I'm sure these aren't showing for you as black and white):

:priest::tantrum::christmas::trumpet::whistling:

• Like 5
  • Management
6 hours ago, Rick182 said:

image.thumb.png.a4d66ed2b353e2ad647c34262d217ad8.png

I see them like that

Thanks for the screenshot - here's how they should display:

screenshot - Copy.png

As @wizardt™ has explained, this is not a failing of the board software, but it is due to your PC running an outdated version of Windows. 

I appreciate it's difficult if it's a work PC, but if it's a home PC, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free with your Windows 7 licence key - but obviously, I'll leave that decision with you.  :) 

• Management
10 hours ago, Red Ranger said:

It doesn't appear to be compatible with Internet Explorer, but then I appear to be the only person still using that.

Unfortunately support for IE is being dropped from most (non-Microsoft) major suppliers. 

I understand the decision was made by the creators of Invision because a great number of web standards are not supported by IE, which makes it very difficult to code for - you end up with an ancient looking site because developments and features from the past 15+ years are just not supported.

I realise that it's very difficult if IE is forced upon you by corporate ICT infrastructure (if it's a work device), although even Microsoft is dropping IE support over the next 12 months, as they've moved to Edge - so hopefully there will be changes in the workplace moving forwards.

If it's a home PC, then there's a few browsers which support modern standards - for instance:

Firefox:  https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/
Chrome:  https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/
Edge:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge
Opera:  https://www.opera.com/

There are others, and your mileage will vary - but if you have opportunity to install a modern web browser, I would strongly recommend you do so.  

• Like 1
  • Management
9 hours ago, J Bar said:

It just looks a bit strange on my Android phone having the avatars and name at the top middle of each post, with a lot of space around it. I guess I'll get used it.

Yeah, it's definitely a bit of a change.  I think it looks better on some mobile resolutions than others.  I'll keep an eye on what's out there for changes moving forward.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, wizardt™ said:

They don't seem to be working with the brackets/code, but you can highlight the spoilery text and then use the button with the eye icon to put a spoiler box on.

Spoiler

You don’t even need to do that much work. If you hit the eye icon first, it gives you a convenient little box to type the spoiler in, as a I am demonstrating now.

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Benji said:

Was that there before?

I can't swear by it - I have a feeling it wasn't there in the last board iteration, but it may have been there on previous ones. I'm vague about it because I've always used the tags, but it's not entirely new to me, I think. Or possibly it was there on Back to the Bay but not here?

Edited by wizardt™
  • Management
11 hours ago, Skylover said:

[spoiler]Are spoilers still working?[/spoiler] 

ETA: Confused.com

Ahhh, I should've mentioned this - bbcode has been deprecated.

Essentially, that's any code which uses the square brackets - e.g. [b] [I] etc.  That's always been the staple of forum software since the Millennium, but the WYSIWYG Richtext editor is much more powerful these days, so the decision was made to quietly deprecate it.  

The only irritation with the Spoiler tag is that there's no shortcut to it (whereas bold, italic etc all use the standard keyboard shortcuts).

And yes, @Benji the functionality has been in for a few versions now - so a couple of years.  There was a screen resolution where the button didn't show in the editor (due to space constraints) but I fixed that a few months ago.  

• Like 3